Saturday, September 17, 2011

No sandwiches for "el Director"

(Backdated July 19)
First day at Caribbean School
We made our way to Casa Lopez to buy school uniforms.  I think every school in town has uniforms, including the public schools.  I haven't heard any parents complain about this as a hardship...kids are another story!  The place was tiny, and jammed with mothers.  Days earlier I had driven by, and the line was out the door and down the block.  It was on a weekend when there was no sales tax charged for school-related items.  If Casa Lopez was crowded, can you imagine what Wal-Mart looked like??

Samuel, Chloe, and Mickey all needed the uniforms, so I waited in a line 10 deep, with loaded arms.  When the girl rang me up, she knew I was the wife of "el Director" and gave me a discount.  The bill came to $364.97, not including shoes.  Robinson upon hearing the bottom line exclaimed loudly, "Oh great.  Now we can't buy sandwiches!"  Indeed.  The clerk thanked me and called me "Senora".  That's Spanish for "Old Lady."